HS.HELIOS for Health Data Communication and Portability
Developed by HLTSYS – Healty Systems, an enterprise born in CINTESIS and a spin-off of the University of Porto, the project “HS.HELIOS for Health Data Communication and Portability”, in short “HS.HELIOS”, aims to prove the technical and economic viability of HS.HELIOS in real work context within a health institution and promote its technical evolution to align with the General Data Protection Regulation.
From the perspective of the National Research and Innovation Strategy for Smart Specialization (ENEI in Portuguese), the HS.HELIOS project covers different domains, namely: (1) the domain of information and communication technologies acting in different areas: ICT applied to health, in public administration and companies, given the versatility of HS.HELIOS for these different implementation contexts; Cybersecurity given its alignment with the General Data Protection Regulation (RGPD) and (2) the domain of Health. More specifically, in the area of ICT applied to health.
The project is co-promoted by the University of Porto (FMUP and CINTESIS), and the Hospital Center of Entre o Douro e Vouga, EPE and the Hospital Center of Tondela-Viseu (EPE).
Given the difficulties arising from the lack of interoperability between current systems and dependence on external providers, healthcare institutions are in need of measures that show compliance with the legal obligations arising from the new GDPR, namely regarding the traceability of information within the institution and its relationship with external institutions.
The HS.HELIOS project for Health Data Communication and Portability aims to:
1) Implement HS.HELIOS for real-world use in a healthcare facility to centralize clinical and demographic data transmissions, enabling the extraction of integration-related metrics, verification of semantic integrity of exchanged HL7 messages and real-time monitoring integrations Technical feasibility validation;
2) Conduct an impact analysis study of the implementation of HS.HELIOS, verifying the reduction of health care delivery times and message transmission errors, in order to assess the return on investment for a healthcare facility – Validation of economic viability;
3) Develop dashboards based on information collected by HS.HELIOS, specific to support monitoring of information traceability, aligned with compliance with legal obligations arising from the GDPR and the reality of the health institution. Evolve to be aligned with the GDPR.
In particular, the project aims to demonstrate that the implementation of the HS.HELIOS solution in real work context in a health institution allows addressing the following domains:
- Management of external access to data of users in the institution;
- Information traceability;
- Process management and monitoring;
- Data quality;
- Support to IT services operations.
2018-01-01 to 2019-06-30 (18 months)